How do I find the Park?

Great DIRECTIONS located here.

How do I find my way around the Park?

Map of the Park located here.

How can I help the Park?

As a non-profit, the Park greatly appreciates all gifts of any size or type. There are four channels for you to help.

  1. Obviously, we can always use donations. Even little ones. Check out the details here or just push the PayPal donation button (this is now a secure site) in the sidebar.
  2. If you’d like to help BIG, you can become a Sponsor. Sponsors make managing the Park possible, and help with major acquisitions. We offer a few perks to Sponsors as a Thank You.
  3. You can also help with donations of Time and Effort. We always need Volunteers for events, projects, and maintenance. Just fill out a Volunteer Form, or phone the office (707) 923-2928.
  4. OR… if you have an idea for a new project or activity at the Park, you can submit your project to the Board of Directors for approval. Read this, build it. and they will come.

The Park is associated with some kind of CSA, yes?

Yes! The CalFresh Outreach Program is a modified CSA available to qualified residents. Read all about it HERE.

What can you tell us about future SHCP Trails?

The Riparian Interpretative Trail:

  • Downstream, visitors will have an opportunity to experience views of the river, a vast and beautiful open-space meadow, and 21 acres of certified organic farmland, including an active dry-land farming area demonstrating water conservation techniques. The Riparian Interpretative Trail will also include nearly 1/4 of a mile of ADA accessible trail through 7+ acres of old-growth redwood at Tooby Memorial Park. We hope to eventually connect the parkway to Benbow Lake State Park and the regional redwood trail system.

Why was it important for the park to request changes to its zoning and land use designations?

Formerly, the Park property was zoned Agriculture-Exclusive (AE), which is the most restrictive zoning. Without a “Recreation overlay,” many of the activities that we wanted to enjoy at the park were inconsistent with AE zoning. In this category are activities like:

  • hiking
  • bicycling
  • birthday parties
  • weddings
  • memorials
  • bike races and clinics
  • painting workshops
  • picnicking
  • baby showers
  • exercise classes
  • non-profit benefits

The Park requested a General Plan Amendment to add a Public Recreation (PR) land use designation to the entire parcel. This allows recreation, education and research uses along with the existing natural resource and resource production uses. Under the PR designation, the public can use our Park and we retain Agricultural zoning on the 305 acre bulk of the property. The 96-acre area zoned as Public Recreation allows for the possibility of future community and recreational infrastructure.

For more information on this issue, see our General Plan Amendment application on our Supporting Documents page.

As of 2018, we achieved rezoning (see the EIR page), Yay!

What is the park’s organizational structure and how does that relate to public participation in SHCP board meetings?

Public benefit entities qualifying for 501(c)(3) non-profit status may be structured as “membership” or “non-membership” organizations.  Some examples of the former would be KMUD, RRHC, MCC, and MRC.  These organizations maintain a roster of members in good standing who can choose the persons on their boards of directors.  

This structure tends to weight boards with people with broad name recognition or effective campaigning personas. It sets the board up for potential disruption by minority factions or mischievous outsiders.

A “non-membership” structure permits an organization to select its board. Potential directors can be chosen specifically for :

  • their commitment to the organization’s goals,
  • the energy they have available contribute to its service, and
  • the mutual compatibility of their various personalities as participants in a smoothly-functioning, effective cooperative group.  

Besides the Park, local examples that have chosen this structure include:

  • Friends of the Eel,
  • Hospice
  • ISF
  • RFFI
  • Sanctuary Forest
  • Trees, and
  • WISH. 

 So this structure is nothing unusual. In fact, Humboldt Area Foundation is now recommending it except in cases where special conditions make the “membership” framework desirable.

A “membership” organization is obliged to give due notice of its board meetings and make them open to the public.  Because “non-membership” status doesn’t carry that requirement, it permits meetings on short notice and at irregular intervals. This more closely meets the actual requirements of an organization.

However, the Park Board encourages both community participation and easy access to information about the Park. Consequently, we are committed to holding regular public community meetings and public board meetings.